Tuesday, 17 January 2012

On Writing...

Hi everyone. Just a quick heads up that I'm switching posts with tomorrow, so this is the writing one and tomorrow there'll be a review...




So – the lovely people at eCollegeFinder are considering Daily Dodo as a nominee for a Top Writing Blogs Award. I am very honoured. They have asked for a post with a bit of advice for students “aiming to improve their writing acumen.”
I have three pointers which have helped me…
1.    1. Whilst talking and reading about writing has its place – it is not writing. I can practically hear you muttering “yeah – duh!” under your breath and rolling your eyes, but seriously, if you want to be a writer then you need to sit down and write every single day. I spent years talking about being a writer. Last year, I finally got on with it. This has resulted in two first draft novels, a short story anthology due to be released on kindle on Valentines day, 223 blog posts to date and several non-fiction articles and essays – some of which have published. That is a lot of words… just imagine if I’d put bum on seat and pen to paper sooner…
2.    2. Closely linked to number 1... get on and actually finish pieces! Then send them out into the world for others to judge. I’m a terrible hoarder, and used to be very scared of getting any kind of feedback. Trust me though, until you do this you're holding yourself back. This blog means that I have to have something finished every day, which will be read almost instantly. I've also joined a bi-weekly online writing / critique group, which means I have regular deadlines and commitments for my fiction work.
3.    3. You are never, ever beyond using a dictionary… it’s a great starting place… especially when lovely people ask you questions using words like ‘acumen’…
So, that’s it from me. Short and sweet. Want to know why? Because your time is better spent getting bum on seat and pen to paper (or fingers on keybord). Have fun!
Laura x

14 comments:

  1. Bum's in seat, but I'm at work...no pen to paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feedback is very important! Never fear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True I should be writing, but I need to catch up with you and others. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feedback is so important, Loved the read.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice Laura!! "Don't think, just do" tends to be my first approach to writing. haha. I think and revise later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've finally got number one worked out, just need to work on number two ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post! I think you've encapsulated the mission of this blog and our challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! You have to finish your story and get feedback. It's the only way to learn and grow as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats!

    That's a very cool thing :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your visit, I would be honoured to do a guest spot.....having never done on what do I do?

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is something real about the phrase, "Talk the talk, Walk the walk". Sit down and write--that is the key to being a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i dog ear pages when im reading and dont know a word and tell myself ill look it up eventually.... but i seldom do :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post and well done on the nomination.
    Feedback is so important I have found. You need a fresh pair of eyes, not just to look for errors in grammar, but errors in writing judgement too.

    ReplyDelete